Thank you so much, Martina @ Make, Shake and Bake, for nominating me for the Liebster Award. I accept this award on behalf of everyone who has struggled or still struggles with binge eating but decided that they deserve a better life. When I started blogging, I wasn’t sure if anyone would actually read my blog, but I told myself that if only one person embraces my overarching message below, then it would be entirely worth it.
From my very first post: You are not less of a person – not less kind, less intelligent, less compassionate, less generous, less beautiful – because you have an eating disorder. You are not your eating disorder. You are not inadequate. You are someone deserving of love, from yourself and from others.
How I believe this works is I answer the 11 questions posted by Martina, share 11 random facts about myself, nominate other up-and-coming bloggers with less than 1,000 followers for the next Liebster Award, list 11 questions for my nominees to answer, and encourage them to do the same.
11 Answers to Martina’s Questions:
- What is the most exciting thing you have ever done? Going to law school. I decided in the fifth grade that I wanted to be a lawyer, so I have spent my whole life since then getting me to where I finally am today.
- Why do you blog? Because I have something to say that I want people to hear. I want people with BED to understand that they are not alone and that recovery is possible, if they are willing to commit to it. I want people without BED to understand that our struggle is multi-faceted and not simply a battle with food, willpower, or the scale.
- If you could do anything in the world, what would you do right now? Go shopping in New York City with a lot of someone else’s money.
- Which is your favourite plant? Roses. So elegant, timeless, and beautiful.
- Who is the dearest person in your life? My sister. We unfortunately don’t spend that much time together, but I know that she will always be in my camp and that I can count on her support.
- Coffee or tea? I’m not sophisticated enough to enjoy either!
- Which is your favourite fairytale? If it counts as a fairytale, ‘The Swan Princess’ (basically the story of ‘Swan Lake’).
- What makes you want to scream with joy? Getting really good marks back (I just labelled myself as a major nerd, I know). Or having a new pile of glossy magazines to read.
- If you could have any pet (with adequate animal housing), which would it be? A bunny! I LOVE bunnies. I don’t care if people say they smell bad. Look at them!
- What makes you, you? My honesty. I can never hide from myself.
- What is your guilty pleasure? Watching “bad” reality TV like ‘Dr. Phil’ and ‘The Next Food Network Star’.
11 Random Facts about Me:
- My current favourite colours are gold and pink.
- I took ballet classes for 12 years. Even standing in pointe shoes hurts.
- One of my first baking memories is making Scooby Snacks using a (probably never meant to be made) recipe from a Scooby-Doo book for kids.
- I hate whipped cream. Dairy-flavoured air does nothing for me.
- I love reading parenting columns where parents write in for advice on how to deal with their children. This makes me wonder if I’m going to be a wonderful or terrible parent one day.
- I find plucking my eyebrows relaxing. I feel anxious if I don’t do it every day.
- I am obsessed with glittery or sparkly things. They make me feel giddy.
- Anne Hathaway is my favourite actress.
- I think potatoes are the best sandwich filling/pizza topping. This is a girl who loves her carbs.
- I am almost legally blind in my right eye.
- My other dream career: to be an editor at a fashion magazine.
The bloggers who I would like to nominate for the Liebster Award are:
–The Journey – She inspires me to keep pushing myself towards recovery, to keep sharing, and to keep my head held high.
–Thomas @ Vinicombe’s Food & Coffee – His blog features fresh, healthy, and delicious seasonal food. He has been very welcoming to new bloggers and his kind heart shows through.
–The Cottonwood Tree – I absolutely adored the Little House books when I was younger, and this site does a marvellous job at bringing delightful memories from my childhood to life.
11 Questions for My Nominees:
- What is your favourite physical feature? (You must pick something!)
- Who do you look up to most?
- What would be your perfect last meal?
- Which was your favourite course in school?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- What never fails to cheer you up when you’re feeling blue?
- If you could give one piece of advice to your teenage self, what would it be?
- What is something you wish you were better at?
- Which movie do you think everyone should see?
- If you had to spend the rest of your life doing only one thing, what would it be?
- Who is your favourite animated character?
So nominees, it’s up to you! Should you choose to accept the Liebster Award, please answer my 11 questions, post 11 random facts about yourself, nominate your favourite up-and-coming bloggers with less than 1,000 followers, and ask them 11 questions of your own.
Thank you for reading my blog. I feel proud to be a part of this wonderful, warm, and diverse community.